WELCOME!

WELCOME!

I created this Google Blogger page in order to develop a single site in which members of the higher education community can share ideas, tools, opinions, the last news.

As you can see, I've already created a higher education news feed with the Chronicle and Inside Higher Ed daily updates, and I am hoping that with our creativity, technology skills, etc. that there will be much more on the way!

Friday, February 27, 2009

Breaking the Blogosphere Force Field

Here is an interesting link to an article in The Chronicle on blogging. I particularly took interest in the question of what problem is being solved by using technology in the classroom? More particularly I think we should be asking what learning outcomes are best served through the use of technology?

My stimulus for creating this blog was a classroom assignment and although other students who have been blogging for some time claim that this is actually a "fun" activity I am still a little skeptical only because I can see this being way too time consuming. Does assigning this in a class make this process less enjoyable or some how take away from the true meaning that can be found in blogging?

2 comments:

  1. This is a really important question, imo. Certain students in your class (me included) have fallen in love with blogging, even though it was a required activity. Others are only doing it because it's required. Does this make a difference? Given that not all students will 'enjoy' all activities, what's the purpose of blogging, vs. any of a million other activities that some will enjoy and others will hate? I really don't have an answer to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question has to do with intrinsic vs. extrinsic rewards...does "assigning" or forcing students to blog take away from the real enjoyment of being free to choose whether to blog or to engage in some other activity. I would love to keep up this blog but really I have to say that I am so sick of technology. Opening my computer almost makes me want to die! My mind feels numb and my eyes burn after working on the computer. People I barely know request things of me. Sure, there are all kinds of benefits to technology but what about what we give up (or is taken away). I was on the computer so much during my time in the learning sciences that I missed going running, boating...just being outside! I'm not going to say it was solely because of the focus on technology in my graduate years but I have learned to feel anxiety just looking at my laptop. I just thought I would throw that out there. I think people need to be aware of the negative effects as well.

    ReplyDelete